I am a loving fire

This is a play.
This is different.
This is fiery.
This is me.

For I am a fire that loves. 

Characters: Girl (17 years old)

Boy (17 years old)

Costumes: Girl – Midi sleeveless sundress.
Boy – T-shirt and shorts.

Synopsis: Two teenagers from rival high-class families, are in  love. They met at a wedding but cannot continue seeing each other because of the feud between their families. They sneak out to a dance hall on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and a warehouse on Mondays. They are at the dance-hall, and Girl has an announcement.

Time Period: 1995-2000.

Location: A dance-hall.

Set/Stage: Bare stage.

Note: Whenever the scene is “supernatural”, the cyc is blue and characters are middle of stage. No lights. Just their outlines. Or maybe sidelights. We don’t know yet. When it’s reality, we’ll set respective looks.

(Note: Whenever there is a change between Supernatural and Reality, there is a bell sfx and a lighting change)

The music comes up. They do intro blocking and the bell sfx sounds, and the music stops. Snapping into Supernatural.

Supernatural 1

Cyc snaps  to a dark purple. Music fades.

BOY: (shouts) I’m sorry! Please.

GIRL: It’s too late now.

BOY: Please I’m begging you.

GIRL: (drops his hands forcefully) I said stop!

They get back up to dance and music starts up. Lights change.

Reality 1

They waltz to music. Both of them are smiling widely.

BOY: The music is pretty good today actually. Last week it sounded like a funeral.

GIRL: We can’t afford to complain. This is our only safe space.  

BOY: Yeah, but the least they can do is play some decent music sometimes. It’s all we ask of them. Nothing more, nothing less.

GIRL: Well, if you keep talking, we’re going to miss the good music you’re so desperate for.

They continue dancing for a bit. Boy starts to say something but stops.

GIRL: Were you trying to say something?

BOY: (stammering) You’re just so beautiful.

GIRL: (blushing) Stop it. You play too much. What were you going to say?

BOY: I mean, look at you, being so beautiful and taking my breath away. (they laugh and pause)  I love you.

GIRL: (smugly) I mean, being a loving fire isn’t that hard.

BOY: Okay, enough about this loving fire thing. I never understand what you mean.

GIRL: Soon honey. Very soon.

BOY: Whatever you say. Come here.

They kiss.

BOTH: Hey, it’s getting a little hot in here.

GIRL: Do you wanna go outside for a second?

BOY: Oh yeah sure. (leads her outside)

They walk outside. BOY mockingly attempts to cool her down and uses his hands as a fan.

BOY: There. Do you feel better?

GIRL: (sarcastically)  You really thought that was funny?

BOY: Hey, you can’t hate me for trying.

Silence

BOTH: There’s something I have to tell you.

BOY: You can go first.

GIRL: Are you sure?

BOY: Yeah. Spill.

GIRL: No really. It’s serious.

BOY: (gets serious) What’s wrong?

GIRL: (smiling) Nothing’s wrong. It’s great news actually. (pause) You’re going to be a father! (There is silence and BOY looks aghast and is speechless)  Say something. Anything. Please.

BOY: (stuttering) I- I- I- I don’t know what to say.

GIRL: We can do this. We’ve got this.

BOY: Uhhhh. We can’t do this. We don’t got this.

GIRL: Why are you being so negative? This is a good thing.

BOY: In what world is this a good thing?

GIRL breaks down in tears.

GIRL: We’ll run away, raise it on our own, we’ll make it work. It’ll be beautiful. We’ll finally be happy. Can’t you see?

BOY: (yells) I can’t do this okay? I can’t have a baby with you. I can’t even date you anymore.

GIRL: I don’t understand. Where’s this coming from?

BOY:  I think you’re just trying to trap me in this relationship. I don’t even believe you’re pregnant.

GIRL: How could you even say that? Why would I lie to you? Make me understand this.  

BOY: (gets up) Drop the attitude.

GIRL: I have no attitude! You’re just being a total jerk to me right now. What did I do? Is this my fault? (points to stomach starting to round with pregnancy)

BOY: Look, I don’t wanna do this anymore. I don’t want to be together. And I definitely don’t want this (points to her stomach).

GIRL: You weren’t done with me five minutes ago. (breaks down) I don’t understand. What’s going on?

BOY: (shouts) Five minutes ago, I didn’t know you were pregnant! What’s your plan? We aren’t even allowed to be together.

GIRL:  (still crying) Now  you remember we’re not supposed to be together? It’s been a whole year.  A year of sneaking around, breaking rules, and now you realize? What is really wrong? Please.

BOY: For weeks I’ve been wanting to end this – to stop sneaking around, breaking rules.  My parents are suspicious and I can’t do this to them.

GIRL: (slowly) That’s what you were going to say.

BOY: Yes. I let you speak first because I didn’t know you were going to say this.

GIRL: But you said-

BOY: I said many things! Yes. I said I loved you, but things change. (pause) Stop crying and go home please.

GIRL: Home? To what? Are you insane?

BOY: No, but you are for thinking I’ll ever stay here with this.

GIRL: But I need you. Please.

BOY: Well, I don’t need this and I don’t need you.

GIRL: You keep saying “this” like it’s a thing. It’s a baby. (she put his hand on her belly) Our baby.

BOY: (pulls his hand away) Stop this! . Get out of your head and see. Life is not a dream and we can’t raise a baby as much as you want to try. It just can’t happen. It’s not me being a jerk, life was never in our favour so the sooner the accept it, the better. But raising this baby and having a family, I’m not doing it. It’s just not happening. 

GIRL: You’re going to do this? Really? After everything.

BOY: Yes, and some part of me wishes I was sorry but I’m really not. This is on you.

GIRL: (wipes her eyes quickly and rushes through the words) You’ll regret this. I promise.

BOY: Whatever you say. Just don’t tell anyone it’s mine. It probably isn’t.

GIRL: Please don’t do this to me. Please (holds on to him)

Boy throws her off him.

BOY: It’s too late now.

Supernatural 2

Cyc snaps back to purple. They walk back to their starting positions

BOY: I said I was sorry. Let me go! Please!

GIRL: Never!

BOY: Please I’m begging you!

GIRL: I said no!

Transition 2: GIRL throws scarf to BOY. He rolls it up towards her stomach to show progression of baby bump. BOY exits stage.

Reality 2

(GIRL lives in barnyard now because she got kicked out of home for being pregnant and single. She’s visibly pregnant now. A scarf probably. She’s talking on the phone. She is in labour)

GIRL: Hi, yes… It’s happening. Right now..I haven’t gone yet….No, they’re going to call CPS. I’m still 17….Look, I just can’t go to the hospital okay?….We’ve already established that I’m doing this alone….He won’t help me. He made that clear already…I’ll call him myself okay?….Just let me do this. Please….Thank you. Say hi to Sarah for me…Tell her I love her….Okay okay go go. Mom is gonna get suspicious….I love you too… And hey…Thank you. For not casting me out too…Okay bye. (hangs up) Okay okay. I can do this. Uhhh what do I say? (pause) God, you’re so stupid. He already said he didn’t want you. And your stupid baby. Just leave him alone. (She puts the phone down and picks it back up and calls him) Hi…Yes…Yes it’s me…No. Um, I actually called about the baby..(takes a deep breath) The baby is coming. Right now. It’s happening and it’s real and as much as you want to deny it, it’s happening. We’re having a baby and you need to be here for it okay? I just..I need you okay? And this baby needs you. No it’s okay. Yes…Thank you. Bye.

GIRL is crying out in pain and BOY runs in. He holds her head in his lap and tries to help her.

BOY: (frantically) Here it’s okay. I got you. I got this. (to his phone) Hi, yes, a woman is in labour. Uhhh, I’m not sure of the address. It’s a old motel North of the Peddington Lot. (To Girl, who’s still crying and screaming) No no, stay with me, stay with me please. Please. (to phone) You need to get here now. I’m losing her. Hurry please. There’s a lot of blood. Please hurry. (to Girl) No no no, please. Noooooo. (her head drops and she dies) Oh no. God no. I’m sorry. Please.

Supernatural 3

BOY: Why won’t you let me go? I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you.

GIRL: You came too late.

BOY: I’m sorry! Please. Please.

GIRL: Never. You will suffer just as I suffered.

Reality 3

He is holding a “baby” which is the scarf she dropped

BOY: What am I supposed to do with this baby? I don’t know what I’m doing. How do I do this? It keeps looking at me. (to baby) Stop looking at me. I know I dumped you when you were pregnant but stop staring into my soul like that. You don’t understand. I had to do it. Please stop. I’m sorry. Stop it. Stop. I- I- I can’t. I can’t. (yells)  I can’t do this! (drops the baby). Oh no. No no no. (he’s crying and his voice is breaking. He falls to the ground and is holding on to the baby) What have I done? Wake up. Wake up. Please. Oh lord, there’s blood. What do I do?( a beat then he cries out but is still looking at the baby) I’m sorry. Please. I didn’t mean to hurt you again. Please. I’m sorry.

Reality 4/Supernatural 4

GIRL: No you’re not. You are not sorry and you know it.

BOY: No. No. I know it’s not you. I’m just seeing things. Wake up man.

GIRL: You thought it was over hm? You thought when you dropped my baby, the last trace of me was gone? You don’t understand how wrong you are.

BOY: No please I’m begging you. I’m sorry. I never meant to. Please. Please.

GIRL: Enough. You knew what you were doing the whole time. You knew what you were doing when you left me. You knew what you were doing when you didn’t ask about me for six months. You knew my family kicked me out and you did nothing. You sat in comfort and I wasted away. And you did what? Nothing. Nothing. Not a single thing. Now you want to be sorry? For which one of your offences?

BOY: I’m sorry please. I never meant to. I never meant to leave you. I had to. You need to understand. My parents would have killed me. I would have been cast away and rejected. I couldn’t have stayed with you. I’m sorry please.

GIRL: And the baby? What’s your excuse? You parents would have killed you if you hadn’t dropped her?

BOY: I didn’t mean to drop her I swear. She just looked so much like you and I had all this guilt flooding my soul. Please you have to understand.

BOY tries to back away from the ghost but accidentally sets the barn on fire slowly.

GIRL: There’s no understanding. You deserve whatever you get tonight.

The fire is spreading rapidly. Boy is trying to escape but GIRL is standing in front of the door.  

BOY: Get away from the door please. I need to leave.

GIRL: You deserve whatever you get tonight.

BOY: Please move away from the door. I’m going to die. Please.

GIRL: (spitting it) You deserve whatever you get tonight.

BOY is coughing terribly now.

BOY: Please don’t do this to me. Please I’ll do whatever. I’ll go to your family and tell them the truth.

GIRL: I said, you deserve what you get tonight. Don’t argue your fate. This is only right. You deserve this. (BOY is now sputtering and falling down and dying) Make it quick. For you and for me. There we go. There we go. Come home. Let’s dance again. It’ll be beautiful. We’ll finally be happy.

While GIRL is saying this line, she’s walking over to a now-dying BOY. She sits on the ground and puts his head in her lap. Letting him die slowly. Almost encouragingly.

BOY: Please…Let me leave…Please.

GIRL: Shhh. You deserve what you’re getting. I warned you. I said I am a loving fire.

Fire on Fire starts playing. She gets up and helps him up. They continue to dance with the fire effect happening.

The End.